Is there a cure for dry hair?

Some people are just more prone to dry hair than others so there is no cure for the condition in most cases. However, if the hair dryness is the result of a health problem, such as a vitamin deficiency, then this can usually be treated and cured by a physician. For non-medical causes, you can prevent your hair from drying out by not applying too much heat, by avoiding harsh chemicals, and by not over washing.

Dry hair can occur naturally or can be a result of the way you treat your hair. If your hair is naturally dry, you can manage the condition, but you can't change your type of hair. Dry or curly hair is usually more fragile than other types and will require special care. You may not need to wash your hair as often as someone with oily hair. Use a shampoo formulated for dry hair, and always use a conditioner after each shampoo.

If your hair is dry because of excessive heat (overusing curling irons or blow dryers or being in the sun too much) or chemical exposure (coloring, bleaching, or using hair relaxers), you can ease the dryness by limiting your use of heat and chemicals and protecting your hair from the sun. If your hair is especially dry or you have an especially dry scalp, talk to your doctor or dermatologist about the causes and possible solutions. Dry hair can sometimes be caused by an underlying health condition.

Continue Learning about Maintaining Healthy Hair

Should I talk to my doctor about my dry hair symptoms?
In most cases, dry hair is not a sign of a serious health problem and can be remedied just by changi...
What damages hair?
It's all too easy to damage your delicate hair, especially when it's exposed to the cruel world -- a...
How Can I Keep My Hair Healthy?
How Can I Keep My Hair Healthy?
What Can I Do About My Dry, Brittle Hair?