What can I do to improve the health of my hair?

There are a number of relatively simple things that one can do to improve the health of one's hair. First, you can keep your hair short. The longer one's hair grows, the older that hair must be. Shorter hair amounts to newer hair that has had less time to become damaged. Secondly, try not to scrub the hair during cleansing. Rather, cleanse by working the shampoo into the hair by simply rubbing it gently, beginning at the forehead and working back from there. Additional measures that one can take include cleansing dry hair less frequently. Avoid shampoos with sodium sulfate-based detergents, cleansing with a mild shampoo instead. Be very careful applying chemicals to your hair, particularly dry, damaged hair. Comb and brush your hair gently, in the direction in which it grows and avoid environmental hazards such as airborne pollutants and excess ultraviolet radiation.

You can improve the health of your hair by practicing good overall health habits. That includes washing your hair regularly, or daily if you have oily hair. Dermatologists recommend conditioning the ends of your hair every time you shampoo. Choose a shampoo and conditioner based on your hair type.

Also, cut your hair regularly, and avoid products or treatments that dry or damage hair. For example, limit your exposure to heat from curling irons, blow dryers, and flat irons, as well as your exposure to chemical processes such as bleaching, coloring, permanents, and relaxers. If you do use a hair dryer, try using the lowest heat setting.

Finally, eat a well-balanced, nutritious diet, and wear a hat when you go out in the sun.

Continue Learning about Maintaining Healthy Hair

What hair replacement procedures may be available in the future?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Researchers at a small biotechnology company called AntiCancer, Inc., say it might soon be possible ...
Are there diseases that affect hair health?
A lack or surplus of male hormones can cause either hair loss or excessive hair growth. Additionally...
What Can I Do About My Dry, Brittle Hair?
What to Eat for Healthier Hair
What to Eat for Healthier Hair