How much does hair replacement surgery cost?

Costs for hair transplant surgery can vary from $4,000 for a mild case of hair loss to over $20,000 for extensive hair loss. Cost depends on the amount of surgery required. In other words, flap surgery, scalp reduction surgery and tissue expansion surgery will cost more. Still, some surgeons claim the cost of hair replacement surgery is comparable to the cost or maintenance and replacement of good hairpieces.

Some patients need surgical touch-up procedures to create more natural-looking results. This will be clear after the incisions have healed. Sometimes, this involves filling-in of the hairline using mini-grafts, micro-grafts or slit grafts. If you've had a flap procedure, sometimes a small bump called a "dog ear" might remain visible on the scalp. The doctor can surgically remove this after complete healing. It's usually best to anticipate the need for a touch-up procedure. That way, your surgeon can predict how extensive follow-up surgery is likely to be. You can factor all this into your estimated cost.

Typically, medical insurance will not cover hair replacement procedures. Check with your insurance company regarding possible reimbursement. Many surgeons offer payment plans. Some companies specialize in loans for hair replacement surgery.

Continue Learning about Maintaining Healthy Hair

Is there a cure for dry hair?
Some people are just more prone to dry hair than others so there is no cure for the condition in mos...
What foods can help strengthen hair?
Dr. Candy Lewis Williams, NDDr. Candy Lewis Williams, ND
Foods that can help strengthen hair should contain proteins, fats and carbohydrates, which all combi...
What to Eat for Healthier Hair
What to Eat for Healthier Hair
What Can I Do About My Dry, Brittle Hair?