What hair replacement procedures may be available in the future?

Researchers at a small biotechnology company called AntiCancer, Inc., say it might soon be possible to resuscitate gray hair and even recover hair follicles that have become dormant. These researchers, whose primary work is with cancer patients, are growing types of cancer cells as part of this research.

When the researchers tried to grow normal human skin, they were surprised to see they also produced hair. Then they began to screen for molecules that modify hair growth. The researchers found that liposomes (which are synthetic microscopic phospholipid spheres) selectively and efficiently target molecules to the hair follicle cells.

The results show that highly selective, safe gene therapy for the hair growing process is feasible. Methods might be possible to treat baldness or to artificially darken hair that has turned gray -- all with a safe and relatively straight forward procedure.

Continue Learning about Maintaining Healthy Hair

What are the treatment options for dry hair?
Dry hair can usually be treated at home by changing your hair care routine. You should choose a mild...
How can I keep my hair healthy?
Healthy hair always looks shiny and young. Want to know how you can keep your hair young? Watch...
What to Eat for Healthier Hair
What to Eat for Healthier Hair
How Can I Keep My Hair Healthy?
How Can I Keep My Hair Healthy?