Are there alternative treatments for dry hair?

If your dry hair is not caused by a health condition, you can try some home remedies for improving its appearance. You can add one tablespoon of vinegar to your hair when you are rinsing away the shampoo. Another idea is to whip an egg in warm water then apply it to your hair as if it was a shampoo. Massaging olive oil or coconut oil into your scalp can help, too.

Coconut oil is one alternative treatment that some research shows may help dry hair. In one study, scientists in India found that applying coconut oil to hair before washing it helped keep the hair moisturized and reduced breakage when the hair was combed.

Being gentle when grooming and styling your hair can also be important, especially if your hair is dry. You may want to wash dry hair only a few times a week, minimize your use of blow dryers and other styling tools, and choose shampoos and conditioners formulated for dry hair. Consult your dermatologist about the best products for your hair.

Continue Learning about Maintaining Healthy Hair

What can I do about my dry, brittle hair?
As women age, their hair may become dry and brittle. Get to the root of this hair complaint in t...
What increases my risk for poor hair health?
If you have high or low levels of certain types of hormones, you may be more at risk for developing ...
How Can I Keep My Hair Healthy?
How Can I Keep My Hair Healthy?
What to Eat for Healthier Hair
What to Eat for Healthier Hair