What should I know before taking magnesium?

Most people do not need to take a magnesium supplement because they get enough from their diet.

If you suspect you have a magnesium deficiency, talk to your doctor about taking a supplement.

Certain conditions can lead to magnesium deficiency primarily because of some form of malnutrition. Good food sources of magnesium include leafy greens, peas, nuts, beans, and whole grains.

Magnesium supplements can interfere with kidney disease and certain medications, so check with your doctor before taking magnesium if these apply to you.

Continue Learning about Magnesium

How do my magnesium levels affect my asthma?
Lawrence T. Chiaramonte, MDLawrence T. Chiaramonte, MD
Magnesium plays a part in over 300 biochemical processes in the body. It works with calcium to regul...
Can taking magnesium supplements help treat asthma?
Maoshing Ni, PhD, LAcMaoshing Ni, PhD, LAc
Magnesium is frequently mentioned as a treatment for asthma, but no good studies have shown that...
What Are the Benefits of Soaking in an Epsom Salt Bath?
How to Avoid Vitamin and Prescription Drug Interactions