Does L-lysine control the herpes virus while strengthening immunity?

L-lysine does appear to help control herpes cold sore outbreaks. Cold sores are caused by the herpes simplex virus type 1, or HSV-1, which affects about 8 out of every 10 people. L-lysine appears to block the action of an amino acid that HSV-1 needs to grow and divide.

L-lysine, or lysine, is an essential amino acid, which means that your body needs it but can't produce it, so you need to consume lysine in food or supplements. The best dietary sources of lysine are protein-rich foods such as meat, fish, cheese, nuts, eggs and soybeans. When taken as a supplement, lysine has been shown to significantly cut down on the frequency of herpes cold sores. Talk to your doctor for more information about lysine supplements.

Continue Learning about Lysine

Is L-Lysine better for your body than Valtrex?
Talk to your doctor about whether L-lysine supplements or the drug called Valtrex is better for ...
What are the risks of taking lysine?
Since lysine has not been approved by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to treat any conditi...
What is the role of lysine in preventing infections in my body?
Lysine may have antiviral effects in your body. Some studies show that people who have the herpe...
What should I know before taking lysine?
L-Lysine is an essential amino acid, but most people obtain adequate amounts of it in their diet...