What is lymphangioleiomyomatosis?

Lymphangioleiomyomatosis (LAM) is a rare, eventually deadly lung disease that usually occurs in women during adulthood, usually during the years that they're most likely to bear children. With LAM, smooth muscle tissue begins to grow uncontrollably in the body, particularly in the lungs, lymph nodes, and kidneys. Eventually, these cells can destroy the regular tissue, causing the lungs to stop functioning properly.

Continue Learning about Lymphangioleiomyomatosis (Lam)

Should I talk to my doctor about my lymphangioleiomyomatosis symptoms?
You should talk to your doctor if you are experiencing symptoms of lymphangioleiomyomatosis (LAM). L...
Does lymphangioleiomyomatosis affect children differently than adults?
Except for rare cases, lymphangioleiomyomatosis (LAM) is only found in adult women. Most women who g...
How do medications treat lymphangioleiomyomatosis?
Unfortunately, there are no current treatments available to prevent lymphangioleiomyomatosis (LAM) c...
What are the symptoms of lymphangioleiomyomatosis?
There are a number of common symptoms associated with lymphangioleiomyomatosis (LAM), including shor...