What are the symptoms of Lyme disease?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Individuals with Lyme disease may experience a variety of symptoms. A rash is the most common symptom, and often individuals will develop a target shaped red rash in the area of the bite. Other symptoms can include running a fever, being tired and achy, having headaches, and feeling cold. Being tired and feeling sick can last for several weeks even after treatment has begun. Individuals may also have pain in their joints a while after the original bite occurred. More severe symptoms such as vomiting, weakness, and cardiac issues can occur but are rare.

Continue Learning about Lyme Disease

Chronic Lyme Disease: When Symptoms Persist
You know that stubborn bacterial infection that just won’t go away? It could be Lyme disease. A study in PlosOne reveals that Lyme infections can ling...
Should I talk to my doctor about symptoms of Lyme disease?
You should talk to your doctor if you experience the symptoms of Lyme disease. If the tick has not b...
How is Lyme disease political?
Robert J. Hedaya, MDRobert J. Hedaya, MD
There are raging political-economic wars around Lyme disease, that have nothing to do with science. ...
Four Tips to Stop Ticks and Prevent Lyme Disease