Is Lyme disease serious?

Lyme disease is serious. It can lead to permanent and significant problems. Left untreated, Lyme disease can lead to cardiac and nervous system problems. Thinking abilities such as memory and concentration may be affected. Furthermore, arthritis can develop, causing pain and swelling in the joints. Nerve damage and paralysis of the muscles in the face may also occur.

Peter DeLucia
Health Education
Lyme disease can be very serious if left untreated; there are several warning signs and symptoms to be aware of if you recently removed a tick from your body. In this video, public health specialist Peter DeLucia, MPA, explains what to look for. 

Continue Learning about Lyme Disease

Chronic Lyme Disease: When Symptoms Persist
You know that stubborn bacterial infection that just won’t go away? It could be Lyme disease. A study in PlosOne reveals that Lyme infections can ling...
Is it possible for my husband to have both Lyme disease and babesiosis?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
Yes, it certainly does happen. And for good reason: both diseases can be transmitted by the same tic...
What are the neurological complications of lyme disease?
Riverside Center for NeurosciencesRiverside Center for Neurosciences
Lyme disease is caused by a bacterial organism transmitted to humans via the bite of an infected tic...
How Do I Know If I Have a Tick Bite?
How Do I Know If I Have a Tick Bite?