How is Lyme disease treated?

The primary treatment for Lyme disease is a course of antibiotics taken over a period of two to four weeks. A variety of different antibiotics can be used to treat Lyme disease. Treatment is typically done through oral medication. Occasionally, antibiotics may need to be given via IV, particularly in more severe cases. Anti-inflammatory medications may be used to treat achy and swollen joints.

Continue Learning about Lyme Disease

Chronic Lyme Disease: When Symptoms Persist
You know that stubborn bacterial infection that just won’t go away? It could be Lyme disease. A study in PlosOne reveals that Lyme infections can ling...
Should I talk to my doctor about symptoms of Lyme disease?
You should talk to your doctor if you experience the symptoms of Lyme disease. If the tick has not b...
Is it possible for my husband to have both Lyme disease and babesiosis?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
Yes, it certainly does happen. And for good reason: both diseases can be transmitted by the same tic...
What Are the Signs of Lyme Disease?
What Are the Signs of Lyme Disease?