What should I know before taking lycopene?

Lycopene may interact with certain medications used to treat cancer and bacterial infections. The safety of lycopene supplements has not been thoroughly studied. Review of available scientific literature finds tomatoes, tomato-based products and lycopene supplements generally well tolerated. However, rare reports of diarrhea, nausea, stomach pain or cramps, gas, vomiting and loss of appetite have been reported. Tomatoes and tomato-based products may be acidic and irritate stomach ulcers. Lycopene has been associated with death from a cancer-related hemorrhage, although causality is unclear.

Continue Learning about Lycopene

Is lycopene safe if I am breastfeeding?
Lycopene is generally considered safe, especially as consumed in a variety of fruits and vegetab...
Why should I eat more lycopene?
Intermountain Registered DietitiansIntermountain Registered Dietitians
Research has shown that one particular antioxidant -- lycopene -- may play a powerful part in reduci...
What are good sources of lycopene?
Dawn MarcusDawn Marcus
Tomatoes are rich in lycopene, an important antioxidant linked to reduced risk for cancer and he...
What's the Best Way to Eat Tomatoes to Get the Most Lycopene?