Should I let my doctor know I am taking lycopene?

Lycopene is general considered safe for consumption, but like with any medicine, if you are taking lycopene in supplement form, you should let your doctor know. The effects of lycopene in high dose supplement form have not been thoroughly studied so the immediate and long term effects may not be completely understood. Lycopene may also cause allergic reactions or gastrointestinal problems, and may interact with certain medications.

Continue Learning about Lycopene

What is lycopene?
Dole Nutrition InstituteDole Nutrition Institute
Lycopene is a carotenoid that promotes heart health by preventing LDL (bad) cholesterol oxidation an...
Why should I eat more lycopene?
Intermountain Registered DietitiansIntermountain Registered Dietitians
Research has shown that one particular antioxidant -- lycopene -- may play a powerful part in reduci...
How does lycopene work?
Lycopene is an antioxidant, it neutralizes free radicals. Lycopene is not water soluble and is r...
What's the Best Way to Eat Tomatoes to Get the Most Lycopene?