Why is lupus an autoimmune disease?

Autoimmune illnesses occur when your body's own immune system, which is supposed to fight off anything foreign (not self), starts attacking your own body. In lupus, your immune system forms pristine called antibodies, which fight your own cell proteins. Other chemical messengers in your body may not be working correctly.

Lupus is an autoimmune disease because it causes your immune system to attack good tissue in your body as well as bad tissue. Typically, your immune system creates antibodies that only fight diseases and other damaging substances in the body. If you have lupus, your body generates a great number of antibodies that act irregularly, killing important and vital tissue. The result is inflammation in many parts of the body, including your skin, joints, organs, and blood vessels. For this reason, lupus is also called a chronic inflammatory disease.

Continue Learning about Lupus

What You Need to Know About Lupus
What You Need to Know About Lupus
Celebrities like Selena Gomez have revealed that they have lupus—and while the condition is relatively rare, it affects about 1.5 million people in th...
Is there only one form of lupus?
When most people refer to lupus, they mean systemic lupus. This is the most common form and refers t...
How can I keep my lupus in remission?
Suhail Kumar, MDSuhail Kumar, MD
Remission in lupus can be maintained by multiple techniques.  Eating healthy, protecting against sun...
What Is Lupus Nephritis?
What Is Lupus Nephritis?