What is systemic lupus erythematosus?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) is the most common form of lupus as well as the most severe type of lupus. It is an autoimmune disorder that develops antibodies to attack good tissues in the body. This results in inflammation and complications for the organs, blood vessels, skin and joints. SLE is the most severe form of lupus because it has the largest number of symptoms and is a permanent condition.

Continue Learning about Lupus

My Story: Trachele and Lupus
My Story: Trachele and Lupus
Not knowing what the condition was, Trachele was terrified when she got her lupus diagnosis. In this video, she shares her journey of understanding th...
What is subacute cutaneous lupus erythematosus (SCLE)?
The most common symptom of cutaneous lupus erythematosus (discoid lupus erythematosus) is a rash fou...
What is lupus?
National Kidney FoundationNational Kidney Foundation
Lupus is a short name for the disease, lupus erythematosus. Lupus is called an autoimmune disease be...
What is the best way to cope with fatigue caused by lupus?
The majority of people with lupus experience chronic tiredness and fatigue. Some find this symptom s...