What is subacute cutaneous lupus erythematosus (SCLE)?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing
The most common symptom of cutaneous lupus erythematosus (discoid lupus erythematosus) is a rash found on the neck or head. This rash is generally circular or patchy, in contrast to the butterfly-shaped rash of systemic lupus erythematosus. In some cases, especially when the rash appears on the scalp, hair loss may also occur. In addition, a small number of people with cutaneous lupus erythematosus will also experience mild symptoms of systemic lupus erythematosus.

Continue Learning about Lupus

What are the Different Types of Lupus?
What are the Different Types of Lupus?
Lupus is a chronic autoimmune disease. When the immune system is functioning normally, it creates antibodies that attack foreign invaders like bacteri...
My Story: Trachele and Lupus
My Story: Trachele and Lupus
Not knowing what the condition was, Trachele was terrified when she got her lupus diagnosis. In this video, she shares her journey of understanding th...
3 Steps to Take After a Lupus Diagnosis
3 Steps to Take After a Lupus Diagnosis
Being diagnosed with lupus can feel overwhelming. There is no cure for this autoimmune disease and managing the condition is a lifelong process. Here...
What is systemic lupus erythematosus?
Systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) is the most common form of lupus as well as the most severe type ...