How common is lupus?

Around 16,000 Americans develop lupus each year. It is most common in young women; about 90 percent of those diagnosed are women from the ages of 15 to 44. It occurs more frequently in blacks, Hispanics, Asians, Native Americans, Native Hawaiians, and Pacific Islanders.

Suhail Kumar, MD
Rheumatology

Roughly 5 new cases in a 100,000 are diagnosed each year.  One in a 1000 Caucasians live with lupus with four times as many in the African-American population.

Continue Learning about Lupus Symptoms

Will my lupus symptoms ever go away entirely?
Lupus is a disease characterized by periods when symptoms intensify (flares) and subside (remission)...
Should I talk to my doctor about neonatal lupus symptoms?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
If your child has symptoms of neonatal lupus (such as a skin rash), you should speak to your pediatr...
Should I talk to my doctor about my lupus symptoms?
If you are consistently tired, have joint pain, fever, or rash, you should talk to your doctor. The ...
What are the symptoms of lupus fog?
Symptoms of lupus fog can occur at any time in an individual that has been diagnosed with lupus, but...