Can lupus put me at risk for blood clots?

Diana K. Blythe, MD
Pediatrics
Lupus can put you at risk for blood clots in a few different ways. First, a good number of people with lupus make antibodies which make clots more likely. Second, people with lupus have chronic inflammation in their blood vessels. Any inflammation of the blood vessels can make clots more likely. Lastly, people with lupus can have chronic pain. Chronic pain can cause people to lead sedentary lifestyles. By slowing down the movement of blood, you have an additional risk factor for blood clots.

Continue Learning about Lupus Risk Factors

What are the side effects of the medications for lupus?
Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), antimalarial drugs, and corticosteroids help to reduc...
What increases my baby's risk for neonatal lupus?
Neonatal lupus is an autoimmune disorder, which basically means that your child's body is allergic t...
How does lupus affect the body?
Lupus is an autoimmune disease that causes the body to attack and inflame otherwise healthy tissues ...
Do genetics play a role in the development of lupus?
Researchers believe that family history and environment have something to do with developing the pro...