Why is lung resection surgery performed?

Lyall A. Gorenstein, MD
Thoracic Surgery (Cardiothoracic Vascular)
A lung resection is a surgical procedure to remove a damaged or diseased portion of a lung, or a whole lung. Common reasons for undergoing a lung resection include cancer of the lung, metastatic cancer from other areas, emphysema, and some forms of tuberculosis. Lung resection surgery offers the best opportunity for curing lung cancer when the disease is caught in its early stages.

Continue Learning about Lung Disease and Respiratory System

Excess Alcohol Harms Your Breathing
Excess Alcohol Harms Your Breathing
How long can you hold your breath? One minute? Two maybe? How about 24 minutes and 3 seconds? That’s the world record, set by Spanish free diver Aleix...
How can I treat my bronchitis symptoms?
How you treat your bronchitis depends on your specific symptoms. The goal is to relieve those that a...
What does an aspirin-exacerbated respiratory disease (AERD) center do?
Tanya M. Laidlaw, MDTanya M. Laidlaw, MD
A team of allergists and otolaryngology specialists work together at Brigham and Women's aspirin-exa...
What Is a Himalayan Salt Inhaler?
What Is a Himalayan Salt Inhaler?