Why do people cough?

Coughing is how your body clears your lungs and airways. Coughing can also be a response to something that irritates your throat or airways. Sudden cough in babies or young children may mean they swallowed something that went into their windpipe. Usually, a cough is not harmful and will go away by itself. But sometimes it's a sign of an illness that needs treatment. Rarely, coughing warns of a dangerous problem that requires medical help right away.

Continue Learning about Lung Disease and Respiratory System

Eat More Fiber for Healthier Lungs
Eat More Fiber for Healthier Lungs
If you get your recommended amount of dietary fiber each day, you’re one of the elite few. Less than 3% of Americans eat enough fiber. For everyone el...
Do I need antibiotics for bronchitis?
Antibiotics will rarely be needed since acute bronchitis and bronchiolitis are almost always caused ...
What increases my risk for respiratory disorders?
You may be at higher risk for respiratory (lung) disease if you: smoke or are around secondhand ...
How Can I Tell If My Partner Really Has Sleep Apnea?