What lung disorders can cause chest pain?

Lung disorders that can cause chest pain include:

• Pulmonary embolism - This cause of chest pain occurs when a blood clot becomes lodged in a lung (pulmonary) artery, blocking blood flow to lung tissue.
  • Pleurisy - This is when the membrane that covers the lungs becomes inflamed. Pleurisy can cause chest pain that's made worse with inhaling or coughing.
  • Collapsed lung - A collapsed lung occurs when air leaks into the space between the lung and the ribs. The chest pain associated with a collapsed lung typically begins suddenly and can last for hours.
  • Pulmonary hypertension - High blood pressure in the arteries carrying blood to the lungs (pulmonary hypertension) also can produce chest pain.

Continue Learning about Lung Disease and Respiratory System

Eat More Fiber for Healthier Lungs
Eat More Fiber for Healthier Lungs
If you get your recommended amount of dietary fiber each day, you’re one of the elite few. Less than 3% of Americans eat enough fiber. For everyone el...
How do people with lung disease know they need oxygen?
Lyall A. Gorenstein, MDLyall A. Gorenstein, MD
Your doctor will assess your need for supplemental oxygen using two methods: Arterial Blood Gases ...
How is interstitial lung disease diagnosed?
The diagnosis of interstitial lung, can often be made with a high resolution CT scan. In some in...
How Can I Tell If My Partner Really Has Sleep Apnea?