What is bronchitis, and is it common in young children?

Bronchitis is an inflammation of the large airways in the lungs. It usually happens with a cold. Bronchitis is usually not found in babies and young children.

A virus usually causes bronchitis. This means that antibiotics will not usually help treat it. Antibiotics kill bacteria and not viruses. Washing your hands well can help stop the infection from spreading.

Continue Learning about Lung Disease and Respiratory System

Eat More Fiber for Healthier Lungs
Eat More Fiber for Healthier Lungs
If you get your recommended amount of dietary fiber each day, you’re one of the elite few. Less than 3% of Americans eat enough fiber. For everyone el...
What is a thoracic surgeon?
A thoracic surgeon is a medical doctor who specializes in diagnosing and treating diseases of the ch...
What respiratory ailments can I suffer due to occupation?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
Chronic bronchitis, emphysema, and adult asthma may result from air pollution, smoking, and on-the-j...
How Can I Tell If My Partner Really Has Sleep Apnea?