How should I treat a cough?

You may not need treatment for a cough. A cough that has started recently will most often go away without treatment after a few weeks. However, treatment may make you feel more comfortable in the meantime. Many cough medications are sold over the counter. Most work equally well and have few side effects. Another option is to make homemade cough syrup from honey, lemon and hot tea or hot water.
Here are some things to know and try to help treat a cough:
  • Stay away from smoke. Smoke irritates your lungs and airways. If you smoke, stop. If someone in your family smokes, make them go outside to smoke.
  • Drink enough liquid. Water can help loosen mucus. Drinking plenty of water makes it easier to cough up and get rid of mucus.
  • Sleep with your head raised. Using an extra pillow to raise your head a little may help your cough.
  • Suck on cough drops or hard candy. But do not give these to children under 5 years old, because they can choke.
  • Try honey. But do not give honey to children under 1 year old.
  • Talk with a doctor or pharmacist about what medicines may help your symptoms. You can get some medicines at a pharmacy or grocery store without a prescription. Do not give cough medicine to children under 2 years old.

Continue Learning about Lung Disease and Respiratory System

Eat More Fiber for Healthier Lungs
Eat More Fiber for Healthier Lungs
If you get your recommended amount of dietary fiber each day, you’re one of the elite few. Less than 3% of Americans eat enough fiber. For everyone el...
If food has entered my lungs, how can I get it out?
Food can block the airway, necessitating the Heimlich maneuver to eject it. However, this usuall...
Why shouldn't I live too close to a freeway or major road?
One of the strongest toxins in the air is PM2.5, which is an abbreviation for "Particulate Matter wi...
Tips to Prevent Asthma
Tips to Prevent Asthma