Why shouldn't I live too close to a freeway or major road?

One of the strongest toxins in the air is PM2.5, which is an abbreviation for "Particulate Matter with a diameter smaller than 2.5 microns." That's a very small particle; a thin human hair has a diameter of about 40 microns, as a comparison. Frequent exposure to PM2.5 nearly doubles the risk of death stemming from respiratory causes.

The two biggest factors for PM2.5 are mites inside your home, and the traffic density immediately near your home. That's why I recommend that you live at least 100 meters and preferably 300 meters from a major road (300 meters is about the size of three football fields). At the same time, encourage tougher government standards on pollution by writing the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), your senator, and your representative. More stringent guidelines for certain pollution (particles in the 2.5-to-10-micron range, often produced by coal plants and diesel fuel) provide reasonable goals for most urban environments.
You: Staying Young: The Owner's Manual for Extending Your Warranty

International bestselling authors of YOU: The Owner's Manual and YOU: On a Diet give you all the tools and know-how to stay young and defy the ageing process. Drawing lively parallels between your...

Continue Learning about Lung Disease and Respiratory System

How Exercise Can Improve COPD
How Exercise Can Improve COPD
Chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder (COPD) is an umbrella term for progressive lung diseases such as emphysema, chronic bronchitis and refractory a...
Does PAP affect adults differently than children?
Pulmonary alveolar proteinosis (PAP) is a rare lung disease occurring in both adults and children. T...
As a teen, what happens if I have asthma and smoke?
MDLIVEMDLIVE
You will exacerbate your asthma symptoms and increase your risk of lung infections like pneumonia or...
Tips to Prevent Asthma
Tips to Prevent Asthma