What, other than smoking, causes lung cancer?

After cigarette smoking, the second most common cause of lung cancer in the United States is exposure to radon, particularly when combined with cigarette smoking.

Radon is an invisible, odorless and radioactive gas found in rocks and soil. It forms when uranium breaks down. Radon problems have been identified in almost every state. This gas can enter homes from the soil under your home's foundation.

Your risk of lung cancer increases if you have been around high levels of radon in your home for a long period of time, according to the American Cancer Society.

You can measure the radon level in your home with a test kit sold in hardware stores. You can also hire a company to come to your home to check radon levels. The testing should be done more than once, with the results averaged together.

Another leading cause of lung cancer is coming into contact with cancer-causing chemicals, or carcinogens, at work. Asbestos is perhaps the best-known industrial substance associated with lung cancer. However, there are many others. They include uranium, arsenic and certain petroleum products.

Continue Learning about Lung Cancer

How can I reduce my risk of lung cancer if I'm a nonsmoker?
Nonsmokers can get lung cancer, but their risk is much lower than that of smokers. One study looked ...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with lung cancer?
In caring for a person with lung cancer, it is important to remember the effects the disease has, bo...
How does lung cancer affect women?
Some women are more at risk for lung cancer. In this video, cancer experts Dr. Otis Brawley and Dr....
What percentage of smokers gets lung cancer?
Since the total number of cancer deaths was approximately the same, the increase in the percentage m...