What is lung cancer?

Lung cancer is a disease that happens when cells in the lungs grow out of control and form a tumor that is malignant. Malignant means cells in the tumor can spread to other parts of the body. There are different types of lung cancer. Some types start in the cells that line the airways. Others start elsewhere in lung tissue.

Continue Learning about Lung Cancer

Science-Backed Ways to Lower Your Lung Cancer Risk
You may already know that smoking is the number one risk factor for lung cancer. Tobacco accounts for 80 to 90 percent of lung cancer deaths and about...
How serious is lung cancer?
Lung cancer is serious, and is the leading cause of cancer-related deaths. It can spread to other or...
How can I reduce my risk of lung cancer if I'm a nonsmoker?
Nonsmokers can get lung cancer, but their risk is much lower than that of smokers. One study looked ...
What tests are involved in staging lung cancer?
Dr. Brian D. Mott, MDDr. Brian D. Mott, MD
Most commonly lung cancer is staged clinically first with CT scans, PET scans, and Brain MRI. There ...