How can I reduce my risk of lung cancer if I'm a nonsmoker?

If you are exposed to radon or other particles or arsenic or radiation, that may increase your risk. Also, over 90 percent of people with lung cancer have been smokers.

The sad truth is that anyone can get lung cancer, even nonsmokers. Up to 20 percent of those who die from lung cancer each year are not smokers, nor have they ever used tobacco in any other form. That's between 16,000-24,000 Americans a year, according to the American Cancer Society.

And lung cancer is on the rise among nonsmoking women. If placed into its own category, lung cancer among nonsmokers would rank among the top 10 deadly cancers in the United States. In nonsmokers, lung cancers tend to occur at younger ages. They often have certain genetic traits that set them apart from tumors found in smokers, too.

If you're a nonsmoker, you can reduce your risk of lung cancer by watching out for these causes and working hard to limit or eliminate your exposure to them:

• Outdoor air pollution: Diesel engine exhaust, solvents, metals, dust and particulate matter (a mixture of tiny solid particles and liquid droplets found in the air) are bad for your lungs.
  • Secondhand smoke: It's not your imagination that being around a smoker irritates your airways. In fact, secondhand smoke has instantaneous dangerous effects on your heart and blood vessels. It is dangerous even at low levels. And it's not only cigarettes that are harmful. It is smoke from any tobacco product. One large cigar produces as much smoke as an entire pack of cigarettes.
  • Exposure to radon gas: The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) says radon is the leading cause of lung cancer in nonsmokers, responsible for 21,000 lung cancer deaths each year. The risk is highest if you've lived for many years in a house contaminated by radon. Since you can't see or smell radon gas, testing for it is the only way to know if it is in your home. Although it appears naturally in harmless amounts outdoors, radon can become more harmful in homes that are built on soil containing natural uranium deposits.
  • Workplace chemicals: Asbestos and diesel exhaust, when present, can increase your risk of lung cancer.
  • Gene mutations. Some genes lose their ability to suppress tumors. Other times, DNA mutations can raise a person's risk of lung cancer. Genetic changes can be acquired, rather than passed down through families (inherited).

Being aware of your risk factors is the first step in preventing lung cancer.

Another tip? Eat a healthy diet, filled with all the colors of the rainbow. Research has indicated that a diet rich in fruits and vegetables—especially cruciferous ones, like broccoli, cabbage and cauliflower—may help protect against lung cancer for both smokers and nonsmokers.

Continue Learning about Lung Cancer

How many non-smokers get lung cancer?
Presbyterian/St. Luke's Medical CenterPresbyterian/St. Luke's Medical Center
There is probably about a 10 percent rate of lung cancer in nonsmokers being caused by radon exposur...
How Should My Lung Cancer Doctor Talk to Me?
What Determines My Odds of Surviving Lung Cancer?
What, Other Than smoking, Causes Lung Cancer?