How common is lung cancer?

The American Cancer Society (ACS) estimates that more than 222,500 Americans will be diagnosed with lung cancer in 2017, and more than 155,000 people with lung cancer will die. About 14 percent of all new cancers are lung cancers. Lung cancer is the leading cause of cancer death, with more people dying of lung cancer than of colon, breast and prostate cancers combined. Non-small-cell lung cancer (NSCLC) is the most common type of lung cancer, accounting for 80 percent to 85 percent of all lung cancer diagnoses, according to the ACS. 

Continue Learning about Lung Cancer

How to Build Your Lung Cancer Team
How to Build Your Lung Cancer Team
Fighting lung cancer can feel scary and isolating, but you don't have to go it alone. Watch this video to learn the importance of building a cancer ca...
How Lung Cancer Can Impact Sleep and What to do About It
Sleep is essential to good health, and adequate amounts of sleep are important to cognitive function, cardiovascular health, energy levels, cellular r...
Biomarker Testing for Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer
More than 200,000 Americans are diagnosed with lung cancer annually. Every case is different, and certain treatments work better for some than for oth...
How Should My Lung Cancer Doctor Talk to Me?