Why is there no blood test for lung cancer tumor markers?

Thomas A. Hensing, MD
Hematology & Oncology
There is no routine blood test to check for lung cancer. The problem is that if a given tumor secretes or makes that protein, then it’s a good marker. But if other tumors don’t have it, then it’s not a good marker. And I think particularly for lung cancer, it may not end up being one specific protein that we draw in a blood test, but it’s going to be panels of markers. Particularly for proteins, it’s going to be patterns of thousands of proteins that we might be able to get in a serum test called proteomic profiling, which I think will eventually bear fruit. I think that moving forward, particularly for patients with more advanced disease, this will be the technology that will allow us to get some of this genetic profiling done of a tumor through a blood test. But in terms of routine markers to follow somebody in surveillance, it’s not something that’s routinely done.

Continue Learning about Lung Cancer Treatment

How Oncology Innovation Changes the Patient Outlook
There are new and exciting things happening in cancer research, including more available medications for lung cancer and better detection so it can be...
What does my family need to know about lung surgery for cancer?
MountainView HospitalMountainView Hospital
Your family needs to know that lung surgery for cancer has risks including mortality. Families need ...
What tests are performed before lung cancer surgery?
John A. Howington, MDJohn A. Howington, MD
The lung is very sensitive to radiation. So, unlike breast cancer, we can’t just take the lump, irra...
How Many Patients Require Chemotherapy After Lung Surgery for Cancer?