What happens during surgery to treat lung cancer?

Surgery is used to treat lung cancer when the cancer has not spread to distant areas of the body. During this surgery, the tumor (or the portion of lung that is cancerous) is completely removed. This eliminates the abnormally growing cells from the body, thereby preventing growth of the tumor and spread of the cancer to other parts of the body. Surgery is one of the most effective treatment option available, but it can only be used for certain cancers and for certain people. Your doctor will can tell you if you are a candidate for surgery.

Continue Learning about Lung Cancer Treatment

4 Types of Lung Cancer Treatments
4 Types of Lung Cancer Treatments
In this video, Dr. Mehmet Oz, MD, discusses the different treatment options for lung cancer, and why choosing a treatment depends on a number of facto...
What are the treatment options for lung cancer in women?
Dr. Yolonda L. Colson, MDDr. Yolonda L. Colson, MD
Women with lung cancer have unique treatment options including targeted therapies. Yolonda L. Colson...
How effective is lung surgery for lung cancer?
Dr. Laki J. Rousou, MDDr. Laki J. Rousou, MD
Surgery is usually the best option for stage one or two, followed by chemotherapy sometimes. Stage t...
What Does My Family Need to Know about Lung Surgery for Cancer?