Sure, testosterone gives guys the drive to compete for women and defend their territory, but it also helps them maintain a general sense of well-being, says Robert Brannigan, a urologist at Northwestern Memorial Hospital and associate professor of urology at Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine. Without it, your mood and motivation sink, and depression can set in. Even though women are more likely than men to be depressed, at age 65, those differences disappear. Some researchers believe that lower testosterone is the reason. Men with low testosterone who don't benefit from antidepressants might find relief with hormone therapy.
- Q What chronic conditions are associated with low testosterone?
- Q What are the symptoms of low testosterone in women?
- Q Can low testosterone be treated?
- Q What should I do if I think I have low testosterone levels?
- Q Can low doses of testosterone slow aging in men?
- Q What can cause a man to have low testosterone?