Why should I rethink retirement if I want to live longer?

The theory goes like this. At the end of a long career awaits the ultimate stress reduction plan: retirement. Sure, there's some appeal to sleeping in, taking aquatic therapy classes, and becoming the over-65 county shuffleboard champion. But retirement may not be the mental hammock that everyone expects it to be.

Take three parts of the world where people have a greater chance of living to one hundred: Sardinia, Okinawa, and Costa Rica. In each of those areas, people have found ways to cope with stress. The communities have strong traditions of walking, building family strength, playing with kids, and being active. Plus, there's no such thing as retirement.

Now, I'm not recommending that you subject yourself to the same corporate punishment that's graying your hair and beating you down. But I am recommending that even in retirement, you find a way to continue working—either as a volunteer or for pay—at something you enjoy. It'll help you stay active physically and mentally, give you a life-enhancing sense of purpose, and help you maintain the strong social ties that are so necessary for stress management.
You: Staying Young: The Owner's Manual for Extending Your Warranty

International bestselling authors of YOU: The Owner's Manual and YOU: On a Diet give you all the tools and know-how to stay young and defy the ageing process. Drawing lively parallels between your...

Continue Learning about Longevity

Friendships: A Surprising Key to Longevity
"Make two friends and call me in the morning." The next time you ask us how to get healthy and live longer, that may be our answer. No, don't go craz...
How can taking aspirin help me live longer?
To live longer and younger, take two baby aspirins a day. These daily doses prevent gastrointest...
5 Myths About the Fountain of Youth
5 Myths About the Fountain of Youth5 Myths About the Fountain of Youth5 Myths About the Fountain of Youth5 Myths About the Fountain of Youth
Separate fact from fiction when it comes to anti-aging.
Dan Buettner Shares the Secrets to Living to 100