Q

Longevity

Which vegetables should I eat to increase my longevity?

• A , Cardiology (Cardiovascular Disease), answered

Vegetables are the base of Dr. Oz's food pyramid, and the most important tool in fighting every major killer in America: heart disease, hypertension and cancer. Jicama is a slightly sweet and crisp root vegetable that is high in potassium, which helps to reduce high blood pressure. Kale is high in flavonoids, which kills off cancer cells. Sweet potatoes are high in beta carotene, which helps to build heart-healthy vitamin A within the body. Microwave or steam vegetables with as little water as possible to retain the maximum amount of nutrients.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com
    4 people found this helpful.
  • A Nutrition & Dietetics, answered on behalf of

I view vegetables (and fruits) like people: just like each person has a unique personality, so do vegetables. But instead of a personality, it’s the nutritional quality of each vegetable that varies from each kind. Think of a rainbow every time you purchase vegetables: reds, oranges/yellows, hundreds of greens, blue/purples and the white/tan group. There are vegetables that stand out nutritionally, sure, but if we eat the same foods over and over we might miss out on the nutritional quality of other foods. So aim for a rainbow of vegetables and you just might live that much longer!

1 person found this helpful.
This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.
Why has human life span increased over the years?