Which vegetables should I eat to increase my longevity?

Vegetables are the base of Dr. Oz's food pyramid, and the most important tool in fighting every major killer in America: heart disease, hypertension and cancer. Jicama is a slightly sweet and crisp root vegetable that is high in potassium, which helps to reduce high blood pressure. Kale is high in flavonoids, which kills off cancer cells. Sweet potatoes are high in beta carotene, which helps to build heart-healthy vitamin A within the body. Microwave or steam vegetables with as little water as possible to retain the maximum amount of nutrients.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

I view vegetables (and fruits) like people: just like each person has a unique personality, so do vegetables. But instead of a personality, it’s the nutritional quality of each vegetable that varies from each kind. Think of a rainbow every time you purchase vegetables: reds, oranges/yellows, hundreds of greens, blue/purples and the white/tan group. There are vegetables that stand out nutritionally, sure, but if we eat the same foods over and over we might miss out on the nutritional quality of other foods. So aim for a rainbow of vegetables and you just might live that much longer!

Continue Learning about Longevity

Longevity

Longevity

If you think the Fountain of Youth can be found inside a jar, you may want to think again. Longevity wellness isn't about appearing younger; it's about protecting your health. Consider increasing your life expectancy from the insi...

de out with things like adding more nuts to your diet, getting better quality sleep and nurturing your healthy relationships. Everything you do can be a step towards a longer life – just make sure they're the right ones.