Q

Longevity

Can I slow the aging process?

• A , Plastic Surgery, answered
    Leonard Hayflick, arguably the foremost aging researcher in the world, stated in a paper in Scientific American that "no currently marketed intervention -- none -- has yet been proved to slow, stop, or reverse human aging, and some can be downright dangerous." He went on to say that anyone who offers an anti-aging product today is either mistaken or lying. "Human longevity has increased by interfering with disease, not the fundamental aging process," the 80-year-old Dr. Hayflick told me. "The problem with growth hormone is that there is no evidence that it interferes with the fundamental process of aging. We have no information now as to who should take the hormone and who should not."

Robert Bernard, M.D., former president of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS), echoed these statements. He believes that the selling of vitamins and the administration of hormones under the banner of an "anti-aging program" without scientific evidence borders on charlatanism. He prefers to use the terms "wellness, life enhancement, and lifestyle change" as opposed to the imprecise "anti-aging."
    2 people found this helpful.
This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.
Will the human lifespan continue to increase?