What resources are available for victims of traumatic brain injury?

Pam Hays
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation

There are many resources for traumatic brain injury (TBI) survivors, depending on the individual survivor's challenges.  The needs that are addressed during hospitalization are only the beginning.  Many TBIs require weeks, months or years of suportive services of some kind and care coordination is very important to the overall success of rehabilitation. Having a plan that encompasses immediate needs, as well as anticipated needs will alleviate some stress.  A family member/caregiver usually is the point of contact with service providers. The system of support is cumbersome and not easy to navigate.  Search online, ask questions of doctors, therapists and others involved in the care of the TBI survivors. Research, and if you feel you are not getting the answers you need, ask someone else knowing that persistance will pay off!

Several resources for brain injury patients include After Deployment, a mental wellness resource for service members, veterans, and military families, and BrainLine.org, a new national multimedia project offering information and resources about preventing, treating, and living with traumatic brain injury.

Continue Learning about Living With Traumatic Brain Injuries

Can I return to work after traumatic brain injury?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
Absolutely. Work is extremely beneficial and therapeutic, and should be the goal of anyone’s rehabil...
Why do I have to take medications with a TBI?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
Medications prescribed by a physician are carefully chosen to treat problems associated with traumat...
How can I get help for sleep problems with TBI?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
Sleep problems, including difficulty falling asleep and problems staying asleep, are common with TBI...
When can I return to military duty after TBI?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
Depending on the severity of traumatic brain injury, your military doctor will advise you on treatme...