How can I have normal relationships with TBI?

It’s difficult at first to adjust to the problems caused by traumatic brain injury. Even with mild TBI, you may face daily challenges such as difficulty speaking and communicating, memory loss, impulsivity, mood swings, and fatigue.  Dealing with one of these symptoms is hard, but when you have to cope with many symptoms, it can feel overwhelming.

The best thing to do to have better relationships is to take your time! Make sure you are well-groomed and go slowly as you get to know someone. Look  at the person when you speak and remember his/h ere name. Be yourself; but if you find yourself getting agitated, mentally calm yourself down. Avoid talking too much and don’t argue about anything. With time, your social skills will improve and you’ll feel more comfortable in relationships that matter.

Continue Learning about Living With Traumatic Brain Injuries

What can I do to avoid anger with TBI?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
Anger is a natural reaction to traumatic brain injury, but how you respond to the anger can vary. So...
What steps should I take to rehabilitate after a brain injury?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
First, you need to seek rehabilitation services at a treatment center and enlist the support of your...
Why do I have to take medications with a TBI?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
Medications prescribed by a physician are carefully chosen to treat problems associated with traumat...
Can I return to work after traumatic brain injury?
Challenge AmericaChallenge America
Absolutely. Work is extremely beneficial and therapeutic, and should be the goal of anyone’s rehabil...