How can alcohol and sedatives affect sleep apnea?

Alcohol increases sleepiness, which may raise the risk of accidents or injuries for a person with sleep apnea, a serious but common disorder in which breathing is interrupted throughout the night, resulting in daytime sleepiness and other problems. Alcohol may also interfere with your ability to sleep. So, if sleep apnea is an issue for you, it is best to avoid or limit alcohol.

Also, if you take anti-anxiety medications or sedatives, or require anesthesia for surgery, you should discuss a diagnosis of sleep apnea with your doctor.

Continue Learning about Living With Sleep Apnea

What are risks of not treating obstructive sleep apnea (OSA)?
American Academy of Dental Sleep Medicine (AADSM)American Academy of Dental Sleep Medicine (AADSM)
When left untreated, obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) often causes excessive daytime sleepiness or fati...
If I have sleep apnea, why would my heart race?
Steven C. Smart, MDSteven C. Smart, MD
Your racing heart is likely a consequence of the chronic effects of sleep apnea or a primary rhy...
Should I Be Worried About My Snoring?
Should I Be Worried About My Snoring?
Does Sleep Apnea Increase the Risk of Getting Into Motor Vehicle Accidents?