What do I need to know about caring for someone with structural scoliosis?

The most important thing to do when caring for someone with structural scoliosis is to get it diagnosed sooner rather than later. So if you suspect structural scoliosis in someone you are caring for, you should make an appointment to see a doctor. Once structural scoliosis is diagnosed, it's also important to follow the doctor's treatment orders. Back braces can virtually slow the progression of scoliosis, so it's important to wear them. Back braces can cause self-esteem issues in young people suffering from scoliosis, so perhaps look into finding a peer support group in your area.

Continue Learning about Living With Scoliosis

How does structural scoliosis affect the body?
Structural scoliosis causes the spine to curve from side-to-side, somewhat like the letters S or C. ...
How do I manage my nonstructural scoliosis on a daily basis?
Because nonstructural scoliosis is caused by other, non-spinal conditions, your doctor will want to ...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with infantile scoliosis?
Early diagnosis and treatment is important to prevent progression of infantile scoliosis. Follow up ...
How long does nonstructural scoliosis last?
Nonstructural scoliosis is often temporary. If your doctor can diagnose and treat the condition that...