How does nonstructural scoliosis affect the body?

Nonstructural scoliosis causes the spine to curve from side-to-side, somewhat like the letters S or C. In mild cases, the most extreme effect of nonstructural scoliosis may be a sore back and stiffness from sitting or standing for extended periods of time. Nonstructural scoliosis is caused by an underlying condition such as appendicitis, muscle spasms, or a difference in leg length, and these conditions may affect the body in ways other than a curvature of the spine. Nonstructural scoliosis, however, is temporary, and the spine should straighten after the condition causing scoliosis is treated.

Continue Learning about Living With Scoliosis

How does structural scoliosis affect the body?
Structural scoliosis causes the spine to curve from side-to-side, somewhat like the letters S or C. ...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with infantile scoliosis?
Early diagnosis and treatment is important to prevent progression of infantile scoliosis. Follow up ...
How do I manage my scoliosis on a daily basis?
If you have a mild case of scoliosis, you and your doctor may determine that you don't need to do an...
How do other illnesses affect nonstructural scoliosis?
Actually, nonstructural scoliosis is caused by other illnesses and conditions. Nonstructural scolios...