What do I need to know about caring for someone with infantile scoliosis?

Early diagnosis and treatment is important to prevent progression of infantile scoliosis. Follow up with your child's doctor and any specialists, and stay informed about your child's progress. If a brace is recommended, it should be worn according to the doctor's instruction (usually nearly all day) and only removed for exercise or bathing. It may be difficult to care for an infant who has undergone surgery or a bracing treatment, but these treatments have high rates of success. It is also helpful to know that the child can participate in normal activities while wearing the brace.

Continue Learning about Living With Scoliosis

How do other illnesses affect structural scoliosis?
The majority of cases of structural scoliosis are not affected by other illnesses. However, there ar...
How long does scoliosis last?
Scoliosis is a life-long condition, but the curving of the spine itself primarily happens when the b...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with structural scoliosis?
The most important thing to do when caring for someone with structural scoliosis is to get it diagno...
How does nonstructural scoliosis affect the body?
Nonstructural scoliosis causes the spine to curve from side-to-side, somewhat like the letters S or ...