What safety changes should I make in my home if I have Parkinson's disease?

If you have Parkinson’s disease, some of the easiest changes you can make include the following:
  • Arrange furniture so that there are clear walking paths throughout the house. Remove barriers such as magazine racks or footstools.
  • Place furniture in strategic locations in case you need to touch or hold onto it as you walk. Remove casters or wheels from furniture—objects that roll are an unstable means of support.
  • Remove throw rugs, which may cause trips and falls.
  • Increase lighting by using the highest wattage light bulbs recommended. Purchase a gooseneck lamp that allows you to adjust the lamp and shine the light in any direction.
  • Replace glass shower doors with a lightweight shower curtain for easier access to the shower, greater safety, and convenience.
  • Store daily-use products like towels, dishes, food, spices, medications, and cleaning supplies between waist and eye level; this will help you to avoid reaching and bending, which can throw you off balance and lead to falls.
  • Use reachers to relieve the strain of bending, stooping, or stretching. Many different types of reachers are available; some models have pistol grips, others work like a giant pair of tongs, and some fold compactly to take with you.
Parkinson's Disease (300 Tips for Making Life Easier)

Being diagnosed with Parkinson's disease can be distressing, and adjusting to the effects of the disease can be difficult. The second edition of Parkinson's Disease: 300 Tips for Making Life Easier...

Continue Learning about Living With Parkinson's Disease

How can I use the toilet safely if I have Parkinson's disease?
Shelley Peterman SchwarzShelley Peterman Schwarz
Here are some tips on using the toilet safely if you have Parkinson's disease:Purchase an adjust...
How can I deal with shuffling if I have Parkinson's disease?
If you have Parkinson's disease and you tend to shuffle when you walk, follow these steps:Stop w...
Is There a Controversy About When to Start Medication for Parkinson's Diesease?
Is There a Timeline for Dementia Related to Parkinson's?