What type of exercise can I do with Parkinson's disease?

If you have been diagnosed with Parkinson’s and want to begin an exercise program consult with your physician on what type of exercise program is appropriate with someone with your illness.
Joanne Duncan-Carnesciali, CPT,NASM Elite Trainer
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
The American College of Sports Medicine's recommendation for suitable exercise for populations with Parkinson's Disease is:

1.  Aerobic exercise specifically leg and arm ergometry and rowing with the objective of maintaining and/or improving one's work capacity.

2.  Endurance exercise:  short walking sessions 20-30 minutes under supervision with the objective of increasing one's work capacity.

3.  Strength training utilzing weight machines that keep the hands and feet in contact with the weight equipment or ground.  Objective:  To maintain the strength of the arms, shoulders, legs and hips.  

4.  Flexibility:  Stretching with the objective of  increasing and or maintaining range of motion and to manage spasticity.

5.  Functional exercises with the objective of mantaining one's ability to perform as many activities of daily living as possible. 

Continue Learning about Living With Parkinson's Disease

What should I do if I'm diagnosed with Parkinson's disease?
Shelley Peterman SchwarzShelley Peterman Schwarz
Learn about your illness. Don’t be afraid to read about Parkinson’s disease or talk to others wh...
How can I vary my facial expressions if I have Parkinson's disease?
If you have Parkinson’s disease, it’s important to make conscious effort to vary your facial express...
What Is the Integrative Side of Treating Parkinson's Disease?
Can You Die from Parkinson's Disease?
Can You Die from Parkinson's Disease?