Should I alert my fire department if I have Parkinson's disease?

It's a good idea to contact the local fire department about any special needs you might have should a fire emergency occur. The information will be noted, and in an emergency, the dispatcher will be able to tell the firefighters where to look for the person needing assistance (e.g., which apartment, which bedroom), and what special equipment or rescue procedures might be necessary. Communities vary as to how they record and retrieve this information; in some communities, information between the fire, police, and emergency medical services is not shared. Even if your community has 911 emergency services, you should contact your local fire department and emergency service agencies independently before tragedy strikes.
Parkinson's Disease (300 Tips for Making Life Easier)

Being diagnosed with Parkinson's disease can be distressing, and adjusting to the effects of the disease can be difficult. The second edition of Parkinson's Disease: 300 Tips for Making Life Easier...

Continue Learning about Living With Parkinson's Disease

How can I learn to do everyday tasks with Parkinson's disease?
Shelley Peterman SchwarzShelley Peterman Schwarz
Ask your doctor to prescribe evaluations by an occupational therapist (OT) and physical therapis...
How should I light my home if I have Parkinson's disease?
Replace traditional light switches with rocker-panel switches that require less fine motor contr...
Can Rigorous Exercise Stave Off the Symptoms of Parkinson's?
Is There a More Holistic Approach to Treating Parkinson's Disease?