How should I tell people about my Parkinson's disease?

At any age, it can be difficult to share your feelings with your friends. And it can be especially difficult if you’re diagnosed with Parkinson's disease when you’re young. Surround yourself with caring, loving, and nurturing family members, friends, neighbors, and coworkers. Give yourself permission to eliminate people and activities that drain your energy. Be honest with your family and friends if you’re having a bad day. Explain that you may feel terrible in the morning but fine in the afternoon. Don’t expect people to know what you are feeling unless you tell them.

Your friends may not know what Parkinson's disease is and may not know what to say or do—so tell them. Also, tell your hairstylist, dentist, and customer service people (as appropriate) that you may shake, lose your balance, move slowly, or have difficulties speaking because of Parkinson's disease. Ask for their help when you need it. People feel good when they can do something for someone else. You might also want to keep a few informational brochures in your purse or wallet because you never know who might be interested in learning more about Parkinson’s disease.
Parkinson's Disease (300 Tips for Making Life Easier)

Being diagnosed with Parkinson's disease can be distressing, and adjusting to the effects of the disease can be difficult. The second edition of Parkinson's Disease: 300 Tips for Making Life Easier...

Continue Learning about Living With Parkinson's Disease

How can I make staying at a hotel easier if I have Parkinson's disease?
Shelley Peterman SchwarzShelley Peterman Schwarz
If you have Parkinson’s disease, these tips can make staying at a motel or hotel easier:Before you g...
What organizations can make traveling easier if I have Parkinson's disease?
Here are some organizations and services that will make traveling easier:The International Associa...
The Challenge of Curing Parkinson's Disease
How Is Restless Legs Syndrome Related to Parkinson's?