How can I make dressing easier if I have Parkinson's disease?

If you have Parkinson’s disease, these tips can help make dressing and undressing easier:
  • Always dress a weaker limb or your stiffer side first.
  • To undress, take the garment off the stronger side first.
  • To remove a shirt or blouse, unbutton the garment and ease it off your shoulders. Reach behind your back and gently tug the garment off.
  • Dress in front of a mirror. It will help you find the sleeves and match up buttons and buttonholes. Button garments from the bottom up, so that you’re less likely to skip a button. Or, button the bottom few buttons and put the garment on over your head.
  • If you’re wearing layers, such as a turtleneck underneath a sweater, put the turtleneck inside the sweater before dressing (don’t forget to pull the sleeves through) so that you will only have to expend the effort of putting the garments on one time.
Parkinson's Disease (300 Tips for Making Life Easier)

Being diagnosed with Parkinson's disease can be distressing, and adjusting to the effects of the disease can be difficult. The second edition of Parkinson's Disease: 300 Tips for Making Life Easier...

Continue Learning about Living With Parkinson's Disease

How should I change my bathroom if I have Parkinson's disease?
Shelley Peterman SchwarzShelley Peterman Schwarz
Here are some tips to make your bathroom more accessible if you or a loved one has Parkinson's d...
How can I park my car if I have Parkinson's disease?
Find out if you qualify for a disabled parking permit or a disabled license plate, available to ...
Do Some Parkinson's Meds Have a Timeframe Where They Stop Working?
Why Is It Important to Keep Your Mind Active and Involved if You Have Parkinson's?