How can I cope with a pancreatic cancer diagnosis?

Let’s be honest.  Cancer is a scary word. Nobody wants to hear it in association with themselves or loved ones. How you cope with a cancer diagnosis will likely reflect how you have coped with other serious situations in your life. You might find that way of coping will need some adjustments.

If you have typically been a very independent person who takes charge of situations, you may have to adjust to reaching out to family and friends to be more forthcoming about your needs. Asking for help will let you focus your energy on getting well.  Conversely, if you typically ignore bad situations, you won’t be able to ignore this diagnosis for long. It’s not going to go away without intervention.

No one handles stress the same way.  And getting a diagnosis of pancreatic cancer will be scary and stressful and awful.  The most important thing is to listen to your body AND your heart.  If you feel like taking a hot bath, turn on the water. If you want to lock yourself in the closet and scream, do it.   If you think you'll benefit from a support group, find one and attend.  You’re allowed to take a time out from cancer. That’s why they call it “living with cancer.” You’re in charge, not the cancer.

Continue Learning about Living With Pancreatic Cancer

how do i manage my stage 2 pancreatic cancer on a daily basis ?
The most important thing you can do to manage your stage 2 pancreatic cancer is to follow your docto...
how do i manage my stage 3 pancreatic cancer on a daily basis ?
The most important thing you can do to manage your stage 3 pancreatic cancer is to follow your docto...
how do i manage my stage 1 pancreatic cancer on a daily basis ?
The most important thing you can do to manage your stage 1 pancreatic cancer is to follow your docto...
how do i manage my stage 0 pancreatic cancer on a daily basis ?
Because stage 0 cancer is the earliest stage, you may have a greater chance at successful treatment ...