What are some guidelines for managing pain?

Rick Olderman
Physical Therapy
Getting your head into your plan is essential for pain management. Without your commitment, it will never get done. Exercises and techniques will only help you if you commit to them -- or more important, if you commit to yourself. In my experience, there are three processes involved with fixing pain: You have to visualize the problem and the change needed to solve it, verbalize your intention and write down a plan of action to fix it, and take action to implement your plan.
Fixing You: Back Pain During Pregnancy: Self-treatment for sciatica, back pain, SI Joint or pelvic pain, and advice for abdominal strengthening post partum.

Changes happen during pregnancy that not only lead to back pain during pregnancy but also afterward. Many of these changes affect the shape of the spine and tilt of the pelvis. Both of these...

Continue Learning about Living With Pain

What are the latest recommendations to manage pain after surgery?
Matthew F. McCarty, MDMatthew F. McCarty, MD
Often times I am asked to manage patient’s pain following surgery. After discharge the patients hosp...
Why does my perception of pain vary?
Eric OlsenEric Olsen
Your mood can affect the way you feel and interpret pain. If you're angry or under stress, you're li...
How do I manage my pain on a daily basis?
By first understanding that living totally pain free is not a realistic goal for most people. Why th...
How can support groups help relieve pain?
Harris H. McIlwain, MDHarris H. McIlwain, MD
Support groups such as those sponsored by the Arthritis Foundation are geared toward meeting the...