How can support groups help relieve pain?

Harris H. McIlwain, MD
Rheumatology
Support groups such as those sponsored by the Arthritis Foundation are geared toward meeting the unique needs of those who suffer with pain. Although support groups are not psychotherapy groups, they do provide patients with a safe and accepting environment to vent their frustrations, share their personal stories, and receive comfort and encouragement from one another. In many such groups, the latest medications are discussed and coping suggestions are shared among members. Assurance is given that someone else knows what you are going through as people share their struggles in living with pain. After joining a support group, you may realize that the best experts on treating pain are those men and women who live with it daily, although it still remains critically important to talk your doctor before trying any treatment suggested by other patients in the group.
Diet for a Pain-Free Life: A Revolutionary Plan to Lose Weight, Stop Pain, Sleep Better and Feel Great in 21 Days, ADA...sound nutritional advice...do-able, delicious..a godsend to pain sufferers.

Do you wake up each morning aching with joint or muscle pain? Have you been trying to lose stubborn belly fat for years? Do you wish you could be active without pain medications? Look no further:...

Continue Learning about Living With Pain

How do I manage my central pain syndrome on a daily basis?
Devi E. Nampiaparampil, MDDevi E. Nampiaparampil, MD
Central pain is pain that is generated or maintained by the brain or spinal cord. Treatments that ta...
When is it a problem to be alone when I'm in pain?
Howard S. SmithHoward S. Smith
Granted, some people may intentionally avoid people because they simply don’t feel well. The pro...
Can swearing help me cope with pain?
While you should avoid it front of the kids, research shows that your brain and body cope better...
Why does my perception of pain vary?
Eric OlsenEric Olsen
Your mood can affect the way you feel and interpret pain. If you're angry or under stress, you're li...