How should I set goals for my pain self-management plan?

First think about your long-term, overall goal. For example, do you want to learn new skills for managing pain? Decrease the effects of your pain on your mood? Get back to an activity you enjoyed before your pain interfered with it? Having goals builds a foundation for developing and implementing a pain self-management plan and provides motivation, a sense of control and structure for managing pain.

Next, with your overall goal in mind, set a few smaller, short-term goals for managing pain, using your pain log as a guide. For example, perhaps you notice that you often have a pain flare-up after spending an entire afternoon running errands. Perhaps you also saw a pattern that pain and irritability increase when you are fatigued or stressed. Use this information, knowledge of your strengths, and the tools below to set a goal for how you might decrease a pain flare-up in the future.

Your plan should include not only goals for decreasing pain, but also goals for pursuing activities and roles that are important to you. Be realistic. Don’t try to do too much too soon; break larger goals into steps you feel confident you can achieve.

Continue Learning about Living With Pain

How should I prepare for post-surgical pain?
Most surgeries produce residual acute pain that needs to be managed after the procedure is complete....
What are some easy ways to get moving if I’m in pain?
Howard S. SmithHoward S. Smith
If your life is too busy to stop and exercise each day, make sure you are moving around with hou...
How can citrus fruits help reduce pain?
Howard S. SmithHoward S. Smith
Citrus fruits may give you a double whammy against pain. Not only are these juicy fruits filled ...
How do I manage my pain on a daily basis?
Matthew F. McCarty, MDMatthew F. McCarty, MD
By first understanding that living totally pain free is not a realistic goal for most people. Why th...