How does central pain syndrome affect the body?

Central pain syndrome is not a condition without cause. It is the result of an illness or injury that has damaged the central nervous system and, consequently, is related to a long list of other conditions. These can range from stroke or surgery to AIDS or chemical toxicity. This explains why the type of pain, the location, and severity are likely to vary significantly from person to person.

Continue Learning about Living With Pain

Why does my perception of pain vary?
Eric OlsenEric Olsen
Your mood can affect the way you feel and interpret pain. If you're angry or under stress, you're li...
How do I deal with post-operative pain?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
Be Realistic - Pain usually decreases significantly within two weeks following surgery. Ghansham Che...
What exercises should I avoid if I experience sciatic nerve pain?
During a sciatic "flare up," it may be best to rest for a day or two. However, be sure to avoid exte...
How should I prepare for post-surgical pain?
Most surgeries produce residual acute pain that needs to be managed after the procedure is complete....